- Preheat the oven to 230C / Gas Mark 8
- Deeply score the rind of the pork using a very sharp kitchen knife or clean Stanley Knife
- Using the pestle and mortar, crush the garlic, ginger, sea salt, jerk seasoning, sugar, rum and oil to make a paste.
- Using your hands, rub this mixture into the pork rind, pushing it well into the slits.
- Place the pork, rind-side up on a rack in a large roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pork and reduce the oven temperature to 150C / Gas Mark 2
- Turning the pork over, so the rind is on the bottom, return the pork to the oven and cook for at least 5-6 hours. Halfway through the cooking time pour 8 fl oz of water into the roasting tin, turn the pork rind-side up again, baste with the juices tin and cook.
- About 30 minutes before serving, turn the oven temperature up to 220C / Ggas Mark 7. Transfer the pork to a clean roasting tin and cook at the higher heat for about 20 minutes to crisp the rind.
- While the pork fiishes coooking, make the gravy by spooning off any excess fat from the first roasting tin, add the wine and cook over a low heat, bringing to the boil slowly and stirring well to incorporate any bits from the bottom of the tin. Simmer for a couple of minutes, season and strain into a jug. Cut the pork into thick slices and serve with the salsa and gravy.