- Put the chocolate and the milk in a heavy based pan and warm until the chocolate is fully dissolved. Do not allow the mixture to boil otherwise it will curdle.
- Set the chocolate / milk mixture aside to allow to cool.
- Place the cocoa and a little milk in a cup and mix until smooth. Add more as necessary until it produces a smoth psate.
- Add the cocoa / milk mixture to the chocolate mix. Stir until fully mixed.
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks in a bowl until pale and thick. Stir in the cooled chocolate milk, then strain back into the pan. Cook the custard over a gentle heat, stirring all the time, until it thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Don't allow the mixture boil or it will curdle. Pour into a bowl and leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks, then fold into the cooled chocolate mixture. Churn in an ice-cream machine, according to the manufacturer's instructions, until it's frozen.