- Peel and puree the beetroot.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until smooth and light and creamy.
- Put the millk in a pan and heat until just below boiling.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour the milk onto the egg mixture whiskying all the time.
- Pour the mixture in a clean pan and heat gently stirring all the time and until it forms a custard thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Do not allow the mixture to get too hot otherwise it will split and be useless.
- Strain through a sieve and leave to cool.
- Chill, covered with cling film to stop a skin forming.
- When cold stir in teh cream and beetroot puree.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker until frozen.
This is one of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's more bizarre recipes but nevertheless is delicious. Just try it!