- Mix the salt and flour and rub in the fat. Mix to a stiff dough using a knife and finish with the hands. Cut the meat into small portions and cut the potatoes into thin slices and then dice. Add the meat to the potatoes and moisten with stock and add seasoning.
- Roll out the pastry and cut into rounds. Place the filling in the center and dampen the edges with water. Bring the sides together and twist into a Cornish Pastie shape. Brush with Egg.
- Bake in a fairly quick oven for 30 minutes.
- This was one of many recipes my mother had to make the weekend joint go further and to ensure that we ate up every scrap. The pastry and the vegetables ensured that a meal was made out of the left over meat that today we would throw away or in my case put in the freezer either for mincing or for stock.
- I have to say that my mother's are nothing like proper Cornish Pasties which are made with raw meat and a wider range of vegetables. The ingredients are then cooked in the pastry case. However, my mother's are quick to make and serve the purpose for which the recipe was used. If you want a genuine Cornish Pasty recipe take a look at this.