- Grease 2 medium or 1 large baking sheet and pre-heat the oven to 190C / Gas Mark 5.
- Sift 4oz self raising flour and 1 sllightly rounded teaspoon of ground ginger and 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in 1.5 oz granulated sugar and rub in 2 oz of margarine until the mixture is crumy.
- Stir in a tablespoon of golden syrup until the mixture resembles a stiff paste.
- Divide into 16 pieces of roughly the same size. roll into a ball and slightly flatten on the baking tra but not too close together.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minues until they have cracked like bought ginger nuts.
- Cool on the sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool properly.
- Store in an air tight tin if you don't eat them first.