- Warm the bowl and beater.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl and beat on high speed until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs a little at a time. I always add a spoon of flour to prevent the mixture curdling.
- Beat thoroughly.
- Switch off and add the flour. Mix by hand or on very low speed.
- Place paper bun cases on a tray and put a spoonful in each case. This quantity should make 12.
- Bake in an oven 250F GAs Mark 4, 175C for 12 minutes or until browned. Push lightly and if the cake bounces back instantly they are ready.
- Alternatively grease and line with baking paper an 8" tin and spread the mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow the small cakes to cool and decorate with icing or cut out a circle, cut the circle in half. Fill the hole with cream and a dab of jam and then place the two half circles to make wings.
- For a cutting cake cut the cake across the middle, spread raspberry jam on the bottom half and whipped fresh cream on top and put the two halves together. The is your genuine Victoria Sandwich. Sprinkel ith icing sugar and eat.