- Grease and line with baking parchment an 8" cake tin.
- In a food processor or Kenwood Mixer place the butter and plain flour and mix on low speed until the butter is incorporate.
- Add the mixed fruit, soft brown sugar and mix with the K beater.
- Put the 1/2 pint milk into a large jug. add the bicarbonate of soda and the vinegar.
- Whilest the mixutre is still frothing add to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake at 400F 200C GM6 for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 325F 170C GM3 and continue cooking for 1.5 hours until firm.
- Allow to rest in the tin for 30 minutes.
- Turn out onto a rack and allow to cool.
This recipe was given to me by Debbie Wilkinson (no relation but lives not far from me here in France). It is yummy and says it is excellent eaten with cheese. I would recommend a good strong Cheddar or a Wenslydale. The cake would also make a lighter Christmas Cake.