- Blend the yeast with a little of the warm liquid and leave in a warm place until frothy. Sift the flours salt and sugar into a bowl and rub in the lard. Add the frothy yeast mixture, together with the rest of the liquid, to the dry ingredients and knead to a soft dough. It should be smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough in half, shape and place each half in a greased 1 lb loaf tin. Brush the tops with the salted water and sprinkle with the oats.
- Cover the tins with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Bake in a very hot oven 230C 450F Gas Mark 8 for 30-40 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.