This pastry is a pig to make and requires time and patience. It is worthwhile as the home made pastry has a better flavour than the frozen or fresh from the supermarket. Unforunately I usually use the supermarket stuff.
- Mix the margarine and lard together with a fork.
- If they become very soft place in a refrigerator until firm.
- Place the sieved flour and salt in the bowl, add the fat which should be in pieces the size of a brazil nuts.
- Mix on minimum speed just long enough to coat the fat with flour.
- Add the water and lemon juice.
- Mix on minimum speed until the water and lemon juice is incorporated.
- Turn on to a well floured board and roll into an oblong 12" x 9".
- Mark the oblong of pastry into thirds and fold over the middle third.
- Give the pastry a half turn and repeat the rolling and folding three more times.
- Note each time the pastry is rolled it should be rolled more thinly. On the last rolling it should be 0.25" thick.
- If possible leave the pastry to relax in the refrigerator between each rolling.
- After the last rolling leave in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Rough puff pastry should be cooked at 400F / Gas Mark 6.