- Chop the chocolate into small pieces so it will melt easily and evenly. Pour nearly boiling double cream onto the chocolate.
- Stir until melted and smooth. If necessary heat over boiling water but don't heat by this method for two long otherwise the chocolate might burn and the cream boil.
- Stir in the rum
- Allow to cool for a little.
Guide for cake filling, truffles and a pourable glaze
- Layer cake filling and thick glaze: 1:1, equal parts chocolate and cream.
- Chocolate truffles: 2:1, two parts chocolate to one part cream.
- Soft icing and pourable glaze: 1:2, one part chocolate to two parts cream.