Welcome to the Farnsfield Village Web Site
Welcome to Farnsfield Village - the site about the village of Farnsfield. The official Web Site for the Parish Council is here. The site is excellent and is very informative.
Farnsfield is a village of about 3000 people in Central Nottinghamshire. Just off the main Nottingham to Doncaster road (A614) in what was the Forest of Sherwood.
Today it is a bustling dormitory village for mainly professional workers in the surrounding towns of Mansfield, Newark and Nottingham.
Housing is a good 10 - 20% more costly in Farnsfield than the surrounding former mining towns of Blidworth, Rainworth and Bilsthorpe and attracts the higher prices because of good education and the attractive village scene.
The village is gradually growing old and is well placed to accommodate less mobile residents as it still has a good complement of shops including its own bakery, butcher, greengrocer and Co-op Supermarket.
In 1944, an RAF Bomber MZ519-LKU crashed on the south side of the village. All on board were killed. The site of the crash has a large memorial.
To the south of the village, along the footpath to Oxton, is a small Roman marching camp, a small Roman fort. One mile south west of the village is a small oval earthwork at Combs Farm. Encircled by a bank and ditch it appears (from excavated material) to be Romano-British in origin. Two ditches in a wood at Camp Hill, 1½ miles north east of Farnsfield are the remaining traces of an Iron Age earthwork, a hillfort, which was estimated in the 18th century to have been 40 acres (160,000 m2) in area.
There was a tower windmill on Siding Lane (grid reference SK644572) shown on a map of 1898 as an 'old windmill'. It was recorded as a shell in August 1935, with the cap and fantail gone. The mill was owned at some time by a miller called Whitehead, who also milled at Edingley watermill. When in use, it was powered by a gas engine. The Good Intent windmill (grid reference SK639571) was a tower mill, built c. 1820 for Holliday, a resident of Farnsfield. Material for building the mill was carted from Fiskerton. The tower was of 6 storeys, brick-built and untarred, with 4 sweeps driving 3 pairs of stones (1 French and 2 grey). The mill was worked by William Shaw, who was succeeded by his son Alec c. 1893. The mill was sold to George Hutchinson who worked it for short periods until the machinery was dismantled and the tower blown up c. 1915. A post windmill was recorded near the Junction Inn, the property of Bower.
A "History of Farnsfield" was published in 2000 by the Farnsfield Millennium Trust and an aural History was compiled with recordings and transcripts, copies of which were given to the local schools. A copy available in the Library is illustrated by local artist Barbara Coulam.
Here is a film of Farnsfield made by the Revd Frambo and edited later by Farnsfield Parish Council.